Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Sheikh Sheikh Sheikh Your Booty

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Remember that amazing SI picture of Agassi playing tennis way up on top of a heli-pad on the side of a fancy hotel in Dubai? I just took a picture of that same hotel about an hour ago. It costs about $1,000 minimum to stay there, and the most expensive room is about $20,000 per night. That's right, with 8 hours to kill in the United Arab Emirates during our layover on the way to Istanbul, Scott and I ventured into the Kingdom of Dubai. We were astonished at the wealth, cleanliness, and new construction springing up all around. Man do these people have oil money, and it only costs them about a dollar per liter to fill up.

Dubai is the Singapore of the Middle East. It is a blend of Jupiter, FL and LA - too many skyskrapers to be FL and too clean and quiet to be LA. Believe it or not, we spent the day basically cabbing it around the city checking out hotels and expensive skyskrapers, and taking a dip in the gulf; the beach is only 15km from the airport and boasts perfect shades of turquoise and blue. What an amazing place. I'm so sorry I just missed my friend Max here by a few days. His aircraft carrier (US Navy) docked here for a few days while the men got to tour the city and hang out at Wild Wadi water park! We didn't see any Americans (go figure), but there are tons of businesspeople and many European tourists by the beaches. The locals wear typical Arab dress, but you're more likely to see them driving by in a Mercedes with a hands-free mobile and a labtop than riding by on a camel into the desert.

The UAE is actually 7 different kingdoms, each with its own Sheikh, the largest and richest of which are Dubai and Abu Dhabi. I don't know much about the government here, but obviously the Sheikh has done well allowing capitalism and private development to thrive. People are rich and happy, and tourism is booming.

Emirates Airlines is officially my favorite airline. Amazing service, brand new planes, choice of movies and video games, and economy seating with adjustable lower back cushions! Woweee! Seriously, the stewardesses speak not only Arabic and English, but Swahili and Hindi and German, and god knows what else.

There's not actually all that much to do here if you don't have a reason to be here, but it is so nice to be back in a safe, secure, clean city where everyone is so friendly again and helpful. The only problem is it's more expensive - 3.5 dirham to the dollar. By 2010, Dubai is planning to complete a new village by the Gulf of Oman with a building taller than the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur. That should be a sight to see.

OK, got to run through this Mall of America airport to catch my plane. I hope Istanbul has internet this fast.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are in a clean country as well. Is it possible that your writing is getting better and better? I am your mother, but I think you may have found your calling. What do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter! We're reading you, too, up here in New Jersey. I agree with your Mom about a possible calling--let's talk about "the wonderful world of communications/PR when you return!"
Keep posting!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Petey!

I never comment but I was excited to hear that you took yoga classes. Ive gotten really into it recently so we will have to do a vinyasa together when you get back =). Im so eager to see you! Everything still sounds fabulous and Im super jealous. Say hi to Scott for me!

Anonymous said...

Peter,

I got a little behind due to travel and work projects, but I wanted to tell you that you are doing a fabulous job at telling your tales. And I love the titles! I look forward to really talking about your trip when you and Scott return. Your stories are filled with so much color and impressions that I know will last a lifetime.